Friday, February 7, 2014

Elegantly Shaped Card Tutorial

Good morning peeps!  Yesterday on Stylin' Stampin' INKspiration, myself, along with other design team members showed you some shaped cards.  I had created a shaped card using the labels framelit set and promised a tutorial to follow for those who would like to recreate it. 

Even though my card is detailed with lots of layers (which I love!), it can also be created as simple as you would like it to be.  My instructions below, show you how to get the basic shape of the base card.  After that, you can decorate and add layers as you wish.  This card can also be created using any shape from our framelit sets.  The possibilities are endless.

So lets get started:
This is another look at the card I created.  At the end of the post you will see a similar card I created and entered into the Artisan challenge last year with Stampin' Up!.
 
Step #1:
Cut a piece of cardstock to 5-1/2" x 11-3/4".  Score at 3-1/4", 5", 6-3/4" and 8-1/2".  The height of the card can be adjusted to work with any size framelit shape you want to use.  I used the largest Label Framelit.
STEP #2:
This step shows you how to fold and crease your card base.

STEP #3:
Once you have picked out your shape, lay it down on the edge of cardstock, aligning to the far edge and up and down, with just room to trace around.  This will be done on the left and right side of card.

STEP #4:
Now just take a pencil and lightly trace around the edge as shown in the picture.  Use scissors and cut out the shape on both left and right hand side.  Easy peasy so far right?

 STEP #5:
  The below picture, shows how to fold it up.  When folding, it won't matter if you place left side in first or the right side first.  I am left handed, so I guess I tend to fold in the left first. 
STEP #6:
Here it is all folded up on both sides.

STEP #7:
Pretend that in my sample picture below that I have cut the shape out on each side with my scissors!!  When cut and folded, this is how the front of your base will look like with no layers and decorating.  The bar that is in the center, is the piece that is really on the top and should show the most attention when decorating.  Since we are talking about decorating, its that time.  So get out that DSP, ink pads and stamp sets and get creative! 

Below is my card again, only this time it shows it all opened so you can really see all the layers.  As you can see, the inside of the card has three panels that have flat edges.  this is what allows the card to stand up to show off and display!  Each panel is layered with a piece of crushed curry that measure, 1-1/2" x 5-1/4".

 
I hope you have found my picture tutorial helpful and you are INKspired to go create your own version.  If you do, I would love to see your creation!
 
This is the pinwheel card that I created last year as one of my entries for the Artisan Challenge.  Even though I wasn't selected, I was still super excited to see that this card, along with others made it on the display boards at Stampin' Up! 2013 Convention!!  this card was made a little differently, but still has the same kind of affect.